Safdarjung Hospital was founded in 1942 during the Second World War as a Base Hospital for the allied forces. It was taken over by the Govt. of India in 1954 under the Ministry of Health. It has grown over the years into one of the largest, tertiary, level multi-disciplinary healthcare institutions in this part of the World. Based on the needs and developments in Medical Care, the hospital has been regularly upgrading its facilities from diagnostic and therapeutic aspects in all the specialities. The hospital which started with only 204 beds now has 1531 authorized beds. The hospital provides medical care to millions of citizens not only of Delhi and the neighbouring states but also to people of neighbouring countries.
The hospital has been a centre for training and teaching of post – graduate students since 1962. In 1973 the hospital faculty constituted of clinical faculty of the University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS) to which it was attached till 1990. Even after the college (UCMS) shifted to Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital at Shadara, Delhi. The hospital still continues to impart post-graduate training in various specialties and super specialties. The hospital is also a centre for training of interns from various institutions in the country and abroad. From academic year 2008 onwards all PG seats have been affiliated to GGSIP University
Statistics ( OPD and In-patients)
Information required by the Deptt. of Higher Education in Ministry of Human Resourse Development
Retention Schedule in respect of records pertaining to Safdarjang Hospital
Last Updated on : 13/08/2014